Decluttering and Organizing.. WHY am I doing this

Well hi and hello there.
 The children are currently resting and napping.. so this gives me a few minutes to fill you all in on my running project for the next  month.

There is a fabulous Mother named Kelly who is also a blogger. her blog link is at the bottom of this post. Anyways. her Blog is called the "Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking"

I have no clue how she comes up with the things she does except to say that It must be one of her many Gifts from God. 
I have followed her Blog for a while. her posts a lot of the time are kind of a smack in the face.
 such as the "Mommy Wars" post about how we treat moms as a whole.

Most recently I found her post on "31 Days to Declutter/Organize your home" again a slap in the face.. while skimming the different areas she covers I noticed not everything was about storing things in neat little packages for every eye that comes through to see, it was more about creating a co-hesive space her family could grow, live and have fun in. (she does make everything look so cute though)

I was hit with the realization that I spend to much time cleaning. Im always washing dishes, doing laundry, trying to make room for this or that. i dont get to enjoy being home with my children AT ALL.. her ideas were about giving each thing a home, and maybe if you cant find a home for it, maybe its time to let it go. This hit me especially hard because Im a pack rat.

SO CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.. day 1 was really the intro and about what organizing and decluttering is about, and also what were the reasons I wanted to do these things..

Day 2.. TODAY.. was about the entryway closet.. so.. i did my prep work..

Im on an extremly tight budget, so I scoured the house for items I could repurpose and use in this closet.. and I spent 6$ at our local Dollar Store to buy 2 square buckets (did  not matter if they were ugly I can re purpose them with some fabric or scrap paper that I have here at home) as well as some hangers (to hang out coats) also I may have bought a pizza cutter to see if I actually like them.. it was a buck.. i couldnt resist...

ANYWAYS.. i began by looking at closet pics on line.. I noticed ALOT of open concept closets. AKA no door on them. i just always assumed they needed to have doors.. well they dont.
 My FAVORITE reason as to why is this..... Are you ready?? hold on tight....

If its open and I have to look at it , i wont want to see it messy.. thats it folks.. that simple.. why would I want to come sit in my sun room (where my entryway is) and stare at a messy closet. with the door off I can no longer shut the mess out of site.. its there.. I have to deal with..

SOOOO. last night in preparation I had my husband take the door off.. i then had him take down to the basement any excess items I might need to donate or free cycle..

now when you see the pic.. im sorry there is no before because I wasnt thinking about it at the time.. however.. we have lived here for a year.. and on a daily basis i probably find something that needs to be put somewhere and I dont know where to put it.. bam.. thats where the closet door opens and i toss something in.. all our coats were hanging on a french door that is right next to the old closet door.. I wasnt even storing COATS IN MY CLOSET.. i find that crazy on my part..

so here is the finished product.. I would love to be able to paint the inside a fun color and use hooks areound the back of the closet to hang the coats.. but we're going to functional and organized on this one.. not fancy and cute.. Ill save the money for things I really want to be pretty.. like the kitchen or living room.. or my upcoming bathroom update Im doing at tax time..

So.. I hope your all having a wonderful Wednesday.. I hope maybe this post will get ya to head over to Kelly's blog and maybe get inspired to not only stop wishing and wanting for more money to buy some huge organzer for spaces.. but to take pride in the items in your home.. to repurpose what you do have.. and maybe save some money and hit up good will or your local savers for some items you can add to what you have already.. and with that saved money.. maybe work on a big project that actually needs to be done.. like in my case.. a new stove.. or a new roof..lol..

Much Love and Blessings
Shanun

 
 
 
 
 
31 Days to Declutter and Organize your Home

The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking

Comments

Popular Posts