The Business of Cooking.. or Cleaning What you Cook On

Hey all..

Happy Wednesday Morning.. Here in New Hampshire we are preparing for another snowstorm.. so much for Mr. Puxatony seeing his shadow or what not..As its still winter around here.. Hoping the snow is gone by the end of the month so we can have our Easter Egg Hunt outside.. Much for Fun that way..

Well this past week has been busy busy with different cleaning projects.. Spending my 15 minutes in each room allows me to focus really well on one room.. One day last week that room was the Kitchen..

It amazes me that even though I pick up each room everyday and dust and what not, that in some rooms, some things just get dirty quicker.. IE.. MY STOVE..

No matter how many spoon rests or wiping up of spills I do and use, my stove is always a disaster after each meal..

SOOO here is a way to get your stove back to new..

NOW.. when we bought our home it came with all the appliances.. however they were not new.. and I don't think the stove had been cleaned in QUITE some time.. or at least cleaned the way I like to clean..

So it was in pretty rough shape when I moved in.. however this little process also works on stoves like that.. not just everyday 24 hour old messes.. just might take a bit more elbow grease to get the look your going for..


I have a Gas Stove.. however I know there are many tips and tricks to cleaning a Glass cook top stove..

Glass Cook Top Cleaning Instructions

Its generally the same process.. just a bit less abrasive.






For this project. i.e a gas or plain old electric top range you will need.. Vinegar, baking soda, a small dish or bowl, and a good cleaning rag or sponge (NO STEEL WOOL)





Here is a before of my whole stove.. Not to bad in the age and efficiency of the stove.. but on the clean aspect.. I give it a 0..





The Left side, the burner I use the most




The right side.. Second MOST used burner




AFTER,


AFTER




AFTER




To achieve this look here's what to do..

FIRST.. remove all the burner coils or grates on your stove.. If you have grates I have a way to clean those as well

I then take my small little bowl and mix equal amount of Baking soda and Vinegar.. Id say 3 Tbsp of each.. combine until paste like.

I then take my sponge or rag and wipe some on the stove.. I scrub and scrub.. or I'm sure you could scrub it in and let it sit for a minute and do less work.. I then take my rag or clean paper towel and wipe off the mixture..once the dirt and grease is sucked into it, it because flaky.. so its important to do this step.

then because I am neurotic.. I wipe down with Windex to give it a shinier look.. and on a daily basis its Windex to clean up the basic messes..

IF you have Gas Stove Grates.. there is a way to get them as shiny as my picture.. NO MATTER HOW OLD they may be..

You will need 4 Gallon size Ziploc bags.. I say ZIPLOC because its the one time I buy brand name.. for this project..
you will also need 3-4 tbsp of ammonia per grate..

Set the grate in the gallon bag, carefully, no rips or tears 
Then add your 3-4 tbsp of ammonia to the bag and close it up.. I set mine on baking sheets as I have a huge fear of it somehow getting out of the bag and dripping all over my house..lol..

I do this late at night and let it sit over night.. in the morning I bring each bag to the sink and run some cool water.. I also turn on the stove fan as the ammonia smell is AWFUL.. take out the grate and rinse clean. they are shiny and new.. I wish I knew the chemical break down and fancy terms as to why it makes them look so new.. all I can say is IT WORKS.. my stove looks brand new.. LOVE IT..


ALSO.. just a reminder.. never mix cleaning chemicals together.. IE.. Ammonia with anything.. or bleach with anything.. just don't mix chemicals.. PERIOD.. lol..and the ammonia trick is def not one to let the kids help with... 

Hope this helps some of you bring life to your stoves..

Much Love and Blessings

Shanun 

Comments

Unknown said…
Good ideas! I'm going to have to try that. My stove was NASTY when we moved in and I got it looking almost new by using steel wool. But since then I have been lazily cleaning it :-( It just gets SO hard and I don't feel like ripping my fingers up with the wool again, lol. I'll take a picture before and after your tips for you to see just how bad.
Anonymous said…
I like reading a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

Here is my web site ... Email Console

Popular Posts