Girly Delights

Happy Thursday all..

If your reading this you survived the first half of the week and are now in the home stretch to the weekend..

I FOR ONE AM HAPPY to be at the end of the week.. mainly because I'm just over this week.. but also because today is the last day of my 20's  I will officially be 30 tomorrow.. super excited about what my 30's has to bring..

This weekend my folks will be coming from out of state to spend the weekend.. My Mother, cousin and I will be headed to the local theater to see a beyond awesome production of "RENT" followed by a nice dinner out with my folks.. notice how I didn't say my kids in there.. I HAVE A SITTER.. if going to a restaurant and not having to cut little kids food isn't an awesome birthday gift I dunno what is..lol..

However I love my kids.. to bits.. so much so that my poor daughter her whole life has wanted to paint her room.. She is not a super girly girl but her room has never been much.. we spent most of her life in apartments where we could not paint or really add things to the room I wanted to.. but coming to the end of YEAR 2 as homeowners I really wanted to paint her room.. a girly color but not a color that doesn't represent who she is..

Her color choice :ORANGE

my color choice..:BLUE

Hubbies compromise :PURPLE

now.. its not that I don't want my kids to have their dream rooms.. but i try to be logical.. If i had to sell my house tomorrow what would be people look at and say.. NOPE.. I'm good..ie. crazy paint colors in rooms.. Most people these days want a move in ready house.. people use up there savings on the down payment and moving expenses that they don't want to have to worry about painting a home before they move in.. PLUS this momma could not look at an orange room everyday..

Hubby was right.. While Makenna is not super girly, Blue is not her either..

SO off on the hunt for a shade of Purple that I could live with..

The bonus to choosing this color was we could get a little longer out of her bedding.. which is blue and purple.. I had some good ideas for decorating..(only one of them has been able to be completed.. the rest we will have to save and do in bits and pieces as the money is available)


BEFORE




Here is everything in her room piled in the middle.. the room itself is not overly huge.. however its the size I remember my room being as a kid... and YES that's a door in her room.. It leads to the sun room roof. In order for the Loan to be approved when we bought the house (VA financing) the door had to be made inoperable.. that could be by taking to door out and making it a window.. or in the sellers case that meant adding a special handle.. it has this beyond weird lock.. nothing that can be picked.. it takes a special turnkey type thing.. which hubby has hidden.. its also been caulked shut.. no way my kid at 16 will be able to make it out that door..lol..




My Daughter hanging on the bed with a snack.. waiting for Mom and dad to do all the work...




the current color of the room is not bad.. If I was using this room as an office I TOTALLY would have kept the color.. but for a little girl.. just not a statement of who she is.. my whole house is basically the color of this room.. which is fine.. the seller who flipped our house wanted a blank slate of neutral tones.. I'm down with that...



As you can see all the patching on the wall.. Someone.. no names.. MY DAUGHTER has dug things into the walls.. 


before I show the after pics.. just want to say Paint can be expensive.. but save your money and watch for sales.. we are not overly picky on paint brands.. Glidden or Behr is what home depot carries and where we generally  buy paint.. we were able to catch a labor day sale that had a 10$ off rebate on a crazy amount of paints.. we were able to get 10$ off the gallon of Glidden we bought.. I also picked up a can of behr (10$'s off) to repaint the wainscoting in the downstairs bathroom (and Yes I refinished my bathroom less than a year ago.. but I chose the wrong white and am not happy with it..)

sooo.. pinch your pennies.. put the cash in an envelope and keep your eyes open for sales...


here is the best picture of what the color actually looks like.. Her room does not get a TON of light in all areas.. so some of the pics I think the purple looks way off from what it actually looks like..





the dresser was a hand me down from a friend.. we repainted it last spring and she finally has some place to keep her clothes (she had a bookcase with her clothes in it before that..






and here is some of the decor I made and added.. need to make more with some other accent colors.. want the pom poms to be a big fat cluster... THANK YOU Pinterest for the idea..


so in a nutshell this project did not take much effort or money..

The room was painting all on a Saturday.. hubby painting the trim... we rolled on the rest and a couple hours later did a second coat.. DONE..

we paid 18$ for the gallon of paint.
we had all the painting supplies needed (leftover from other projects)
 and the tissue paper was 1$ a pack at Hobby Lobby.. I bought 4.. 

so a total cost of $22.00 to update my daughters room..

Some other projects I wish to do are to remove her big fat rug that collects more cat hair that i can keep up with and make a rag rug..(winter project)
also she wants wall decals for her room.. we haven't decided on anything yet however this will probably be a Christmas present...


so there ya have it.. a little room update..


Much love and blessings on this Thursday Morning...


Shanun

Comments

Popular Posts