Kitchen Debacle Part 2.. The Reveal

Hey all.. so after a long Saturday afternoon and a little work on Sunday morning.. I finally have the kitchen ALMOST put back together.. I have my junk drawer box that I need to go through and that's it...

Other than that my cabinet storage has been completely re arranged.  

The back story is this.. We moved in a little over a year ago, AND I HATE BOXES.. I didn't want stuff sitting in boxes while they waited for me to open them and put them away.. so I just said PUT THE STUFF ANYWHERE.. ill figure it out later..

WELLLLLLL a year and a half later I finally got to this project..

I tried to start with a clean kitchen but that quickly went south when the kids wanted snacks and I didn't get all the groceries put away from my bi weekly trip..


So, here is the reveal.. LOTS of pictures.. get a cup of coffee and enjoy the show..



First things first.. I removed everything from the cupboards and made quite the MESS in my kitchen.


MESS


MORE MESS


EVEN MORE MESS


I found a box my daughter had colored on and turned into a car.. and stored all the 2 junk drawer items that I knew I didn't want to throw away.. Some of the items need a different home than the kitchen.. other items can stay. Still need to go through the box.. Ill get there..lol






First up was contact papering the drawers as I cleaned them out.. Hubby had bought 2 rolls for when we papered the dining room closet shelves.. so we had a WHOLE ROLL left over.. worked out perfectly..

Those 2 drawers used to hold JUNK Drawer #1 on the left and then mixer and junk items on the right..

On the right is now my less cluttered silverware drawer





Junk Drawer #1 all cleaned out and papered.


Now houses just the Electric Knife as well as hand mixer and attachments.. 


This was the Cat food cupboard in the before pictures.. It still holds pet food but I cleaned it up.




In cleaning our Junk Drawer #1 i found the pegs to put up the shelf that was laying on the bottom of this cupboard.. It has cat food items on the bottom and dog stuff on the top now.. Still poor use of this cabinet. BUT i need a place to store these items.. so for now it works.


This was probably my favorite drawer to work on.. This drawer used to hold silverware and random items.. Not any longer.. I cleaned it out. papered it and made it something MUCH better..

After reading a Readers Spot Post on Jen's Blog I heart Organizing I was inspired to move my spices from different brand, shape and sized bottles.. to a universal setting..

Read about how I was inspired by this idea here at 





Ill do another post on how I made the jars.. but the basic explanation is I purchased a package of 4oz jelly canning jars from walmart.. I then spray painted the ring the color I wanted.. which of course in my case was red.. I then spray painted the seal with Chalkboard Spray paint..
I lined up all the spices with the jars so I wouldn't get confused on what was what.




I desperately was searching for a Bistro Chalk Marker.. NO ONE CARRIES the fine tip.. only big fat markers for say an easel outdoor sign..
SOOO I had to improvise.. I used my eye liner pencil sharpener to make a piece of chalk have a much more fine tip.. WORKED LIKE A CHARM and saved me 5$..lol




My New Spices, Seasonings, and treat toppings Drawer.. super excited.. And I did have to use some ground cinnamon for some things I'm simmering up to make the house smell nice.. was nice and easy to find as well as use.. 


Another View.. GAAHAHA I love it.. I could sit with that drawer open all the time..


This was the old spice cupboard.. Since I have a new place for all the spices I was able to really use this space better.. I used some 3M clear hooks to hold up the measuring cups.. I was able to move my Canisters off the counter and into the cupboard.. and now I have some small 1 cup cooking bowls in a place that's easy to get to.. I did keep my larger spices I purchase in bulk in the cupboard.. as well as sauces and marinades,,







This cupboard used to hold our canned goods.. the problem was it was an awkward space for canned goods.. I never knew everything I had because they were hidden off to the side.. I took some of the rubbery cupboard liner and lined the cupboard.. these items used to be weighing down my lazy Susan in the cabinet below here.. now it houses my glass pyrex mixing bowls..







Here is the Lazy Susan below.. before it was stuffed with the extra bowl and was weighing it down so much that I couldnt turn the top very well..  NOT a problem anymore..





The canned good have been moved to where the plates once were held..

Now I can see EVERYTHING we have.. which makes it easier when cooking but also when I am doing my shopping list I can see better what we have available.. Hence. Hubby likes canned green beans.. I always think we are out.. little did I know I had 5 cans tucked away in the old cupboard.. whoops.. looks like I'm fine on buying canned beans for a while..lol




This is one of the only drawers I kept the same items in.. It holds my oven mits, trivets and spoon rests.. I did however clean the drawer out and line it.



The plates are now in the old, chips, dog treat cabinet.. on the top are my random serving bowls..




This cabinet was kept the same as well.. I just do not have a big enough area in my medicine cabinet to store medicines and stuff.. plus my kids can not get to things as easy when they are stored this way..


I also kept the kids stuff in the same drawer.. just needs to be lined..





The over all finished products.. nice and clean on the counters.. and I did free up some counter space by storing my canisters in a cupboard now.




The side Fridge area... i went through the whole counter and cleaned everything.. up.. threw out anything that was not needed.. MUCH cleaner and now I can use the space for cooking or serving food.. 



WELLL that's it folks.. that's the kitchen reveal I had for you.. I started at around 11:00am. and was finished by 6pm.. give or take an hour as we had a visit from a home improvement company about our new roof.. SOOO really all in all from start to finish about 5 hours worth of work.. Its a little tough today.. because I keep going for silverware in the wrong drawer. or reaching for a plate and seeing a can of beans..lol.. But its worth it. We will get used to it.. Its much more functional this way..

Much Love and Blessings.

Shanun



Comments

Popular Posts