ratty dresser.. to Chest Of Drawers

Hey all..
Happy MONDAY, I know how awful of a person can I be that I say HAPPY on a Monday.. but I'm sorry Ive worked very hard to not get cases of the Mondays.. Its tough.. Friday seems so far away. but it will be Wednesday before you know it and your week will be half over.. Hang in there..

Today I'm going to post a project my sister recently did.. And by recently I mean last week while her hubs was out of town..  WAY TO GO KOLY..

A quick little bit of info about my Sister..
Shes married to a great guy, She has 5 kids, she works, Is currently taking Online courses for her Masters Degree.. Oh and in her spare time Crafts and does DIY work.. YUP.. with all she has going on she finds time for some fun projects...

She has a great loving heart and is such a wonderful sister...

OK.. here is what she did..

With 5 kids.. her youngest being in preschool and sharing a room with her and her husband currently she needs LOTS of items.. IE.. beds, dressers, FOOD..lol.. The middle one.. DRESSER was a big one for my niece.. I do not have a before picture of the area.. but I do remember it.. My Sister was using her changing table to store the clothes my niece uses.. However with a big girl bed finally in place it was time for some drawers as well.. in my personal opinion my sister needed a piece of furniture that would not en crouch on her nicely sized Master Bedroom..

SHE FOUND THE PERFECT SOLUTION in her own home (i love then that happens)


Low and behold she did not have to search hard.. THIS beauty was sitting in her garage.. just waiting for some TLC.. 



She took each individual piece and sanded them (PS Ill tell you a trick to avoid sanding at the end)
However we learned from Andrea's Command center project last week that some things MUST be sanded..




Since her hubby was out of town my sister enlisted a handy friend to fix a broken Track on the dresser..



I believe this was the first coat of paint..




Here are the drawer fronts.. and I must say she didn't tell me this tip but I can see it.. She put each drawer in a trash bag to protect the rest of the non painted area.. Super Smart thinking.. Love that idea..




And here we have the finished product.. As you can see she added some new Drawer pulls.. This Bleh ratty dresser has turned into a beautiful Chest of Drawers.. I love the contrasting colors.. adds some fun depth to the project.. Perfect for a preschooler..

Great Job Nikol..

LOVE IT...


I know I know.. what does this have to do with my house and my projects.. Well nothing really.. but it does have to do with you.. I wanted to show you that when I say I reuse Items.. They are not always these perfect ready to use items.. Sometimes you need to look past the blah off color paint and bad drawer pulls and see what can be.. Maybe you don't feel you have the vision for things like this.. BUT YOU TO.. if you see something in your home or on the side of the road saying free and you think.. WOW I could use a chair like that, or a table that size but your next thought it WOW that's ugly.. GRAB IT.. My sister knew what she wanted to do to this project.. maybe you don't know yet.. and that's OK. Not ever project gets done in 3 days.. Maybe it will take you a bit to find the color or finish you want.. so why not start on the rest of the project. IE sanding down, priming.. then when you know what you want your ready to go..



OK.. so I mentioned above NO SANDING..


Some projects (such as laminate, resurfacing your dining room table, These items MUST be sanded. You will not get the finished look you are going for if you skip this step.

HOWEVER some projects like my command center desk (I just wanted to slap a coat of paint on it) don't need to be sanded.. They just need to be roughed up a bit..

IN COME KLEAN STRIP sander deglosser..


I found out about this product on Pinterest and I now SWEAR by it.. for under 7$ at Home Depot or Lowes you can find this product where they sell paint strippers.

It will not SAND the project for you but what it does, is with very little product on the cloth, removes that top varnish layer that you can not paint over. It also has a little grit to it, which now prepares the surface for some paint. 

I used the bottle I bought on my daughters headboard, as well as my desk, I lent it to a friend who used it on a dresser update and when she returned the bottle there was still quite a bit left.. So you can use this stuff for quite a while.. 


Well that's it for now folks.. Might have some fun for ya later.. but for now.. I'M DONE..

Its 7:23 and I just finished my first cup of coffee.. my son should be up soon (my daughter is already up eating her breakfast) and my day will begin..

Much Love and Blessings on this Monday morning..

Shanun




Comments

Popular Posts