Gettin My FALL On!!!!



Happy FALL Friday folks..

October is just a few days away.. So excited for this season. I don't know if its because my birthday is in October.. if its the New England Charm of fall or the simple fact that its so colorful but fall is by far my favorite season.

I love the smells, colors, temperature, pretty much everything about this season is right up my alley.

We spent quite a few years being renters in places I could not do very much decorating. One of the beyond petty reasons I wanted to be a home owner so bad was so I could express how much I love seasons and holidays by decorating. Maybe its a New England thing, but I love driving through quiet residential streets or back country roads and seeing pumpkins on porches, burlap on doors.
Last year was the first year I was able to decorate for fall. SO EXCITING, however having never really spend money to decorate the outside of a house I was unaware of the cost. I TOTALLY under-figured the cost..lol.. so I decided to buy something new each season...

Here is this years outdoor Fall decorations..



Last Fall season I hit a sale at our local hobby lobby on the Fall garland.. It was 40% off.. the nice thing about the garland is its has HELD UP REALLY WELL.. this to me was an essential purchase last year.. You can wrap it around lamp posts, chairs etc etc.. I know it holds up well because I was incredibly lazy last year and this garland sat out right where it is now until after the New year..lol.. no fading or anything.. well worth the small investment.. 





this was probably my favorite project last fall which was easy to do again this fall.. This window just screamed WREATH or NON WREATH or something.. it was to bare.. I again at hobby lobby purchased an open frame (50% off) and used some of my fall garland to wrap around it.. I also purchased with my 40% off coupon the initial letter and hubby strung it up with clear fishing wire.. a little outdoor command hook and we were in business.. the joy of this NON WREATH as I have blogged about before is it can change with the seasons.. this past summer it was wrapped in greenery and flowers.. a quick 2 minute removal of the spring stuff and it becomes fall.. and when winter comes we will add greenery and lights for Christmas... fun fun fun and inexpensive for a window like this or a front door..




No fall porch is complete without some pumpkins and mums.. I am a super advance planner.. I purchased this mums 2 weeks ago.. the joy of being an early bird is I was able to get them for under 4$ a piece.. (reminder from my mum is especially when the cooler fall nights come in be sure to cover your mums at night.. the cold cold and frost will ruin the colors..in my case a hand towel fits perfect over each of these..)



Hay bales are actually beyond cheap and easy to get if you have a hobby lobby.. $4.99 was pricey for me but then I saw the 50% off sign and was sold..



this was an addition to my outdoor decor this year.. Its a tomato cage wrapped in burlap and garland.. I have a few more to make to place around the porch and yard.. again another multi-use decor idea.. in the winter just remove the Fall decor and add Christmas garland and lights and you have outdoor Christmas trees... THANK YOU PINTEREST... (again this is an advance planning project.. I bought these tomato cages in the middle of august and even then they were hard to find..)




My Mother in law got after me for being such an early bird but when hubby, the kids and I went apple picking last weekend we decided it was a good time to pick pumpkins from the patch..(PS your better off buying from home depot.. SO EXPENSIVE at the patch)  We have never made a jack o lantern before.. My Daughter was excited.. I however remember in my younger years its a tough thing to carve a pumpkin.. Check out this link for some awesome stencils.. Made the process SOOOOO much easier.. most of the links for stencils you just print the stencil and tape to your pumpkin. SUPER EASY..




Felt a little to early to put away the chairs and table.. so I just added a super small bale of hay and some gourds I picked up from the grocery store super cheap...


Don't count out those sad hanging baskets outside of walmart that are marked down to $2-3... all they need is a little water and sun.. this basket was pretty shabby looking but I figured for 3$ the worst that happens is it doesn't come back to life... and thankfully this did...




SOOOO my life is one big BUDGET.. everything in our home is bought with cash.. and decorating the outside of your home can get incredibly pricey.. If you have the money.. Go for the Gold.. if you don't maybe start with 1 or 2 things you really like this year.. then make it a goal to save for each season.. add a piece each year and before you know it you will have a porch full of beautiful decor.. look for sales.. look for coupons.. Part of the reason I love hobby lobby is because they put the following seasons stuff out so early and mark it down like crazy. plus whatever is not on sale they always have their 40% off coupon which has saved me many atime..

It doesn't have to look like a better Homes and Gardens catalog, It need to be something you are happy with and that makes you feel like home.. I loved taking my daughter to school this week.. every morning I was able to come and go feeling the warmth of fall.. Yes its not even October and I have a Jack O lantern but the look on my daughters face every night when we go out to light it is priceless.. she has to go down onto the side walk and make sure the light it shining right so everyone can see it..lol.. she had a blast making it with me and that's what counts...

What will you be doing for fall decor?? do you have old classic items you use year after year? Or is this your first year you are taking the challenge of making the outside of your house feel like your Home... Send me some photos.. let me know what you are all up too...

Shanun@comcast.net

Much Love and Blessings on this Beautiful Friday Fall afternoon.. Have a great weekend everyone.. Ill be back Monday...





Comments

Popular Posts